Sunday, January 10, 2010

DEATH PAINTING

Suzanne Dying 9wxx1 30 x 22 inches acrylic and charcoal on rives bfk
PLEASE NOTE: this is a preliminary IPHONE photo, filtered and sharpened and whatnot in photoshop, but STILL, ya know ! I will repost this after it is shot with the great lens and camera body. It will look better then.

The reference for this painting is also from December 20th, 2009, eleven days before Suzanne's death from metastatic hemangiopericytoma. I have come to call them death paintings, but I often think of them as KADDISH which is the Hebrew prayer for the dead.

For one thing I know: that nine-year journey from the diagnosis of the first brain tumor to her final surrender was a holy path I was blessed to be allowed to share, and at the moment of death God shook the universe and I howled.


1 comment:

Joan Price said...

Thank you for sharing your wife's journey through your artist's eyes. I lost my husband to cancer almost two years ago--he was the artist (www.robertriceart.com). I understand what you mean by "God shook the universe and I howled."

- Joan Price